- Meaning: It is more motivational to tell people WHY they are doing something or WHY it matters instead of HOW to do it.
- Rewards: How employees are rewarded is usually more important than the rewards themselves. A 2008 study found that as long as the reward was tied into mechanical tasks, the positive ratio (larger reward:greater performance) worked…but when the task required cognitive skills (even rudimentary skills), a larger reward led to poorer performance, particularly if the work was spread out over time (if/then scenarios).
What motivates you? How do you motivate your staff? Could you be more effective?
Office Motivation Facts and Statistics
- 55 percent of employees agree or strongly agree that the quality of their company’s recognition efforts impacts their job performance. (Success Performance Solutions)
- Only 10 percent of employees strongly agree that they are completely satisfied with their company’s employee recognition efforts. (SPS)
- 70 percent of employees receive verbal praise – the most prevalent form of employee recognition – only 49 percent of them want it; and 21 percent of those who actually want verbal praise still aren’t getting it from their companies. (SPS)
The Importance of Employee Satisfaction and the Profit Chain
- Employee satisfaction drives loyalty. Employee loyalty drives productivity.
- Employee productivity drives value.
- Value drives customer satisfaction.
- Customer satisfaction drives customer loyalty.
- Customer loyalty drives profitability and growth.
How do you recognize your employees? Could you improve?
Observation Baltimore has been serving the market research industry for two decades, consistently rated “One of the World’s Best,” by Impulse Survey.
We understand market research!